My name is Steve Hagerty, and I am currently the 21st Mayor of Evanston, IL, one of the most socioeconomically and racially diverse urban ring cities in America located just north of Chicago on Lake Michigan. With public transportation, several vibrant business districts, a world class University, a thriving arts and creative scene, two historic districts, and a beautiful, public lakefront, there’s no place quite like Evanston. Here, we’re passionate about the environment, our history, our community, our diversity, our parks and Lake, our ETHS Wildkits and Northwestern University Wildcats, and our progressive values.
Since being sworn in the May of 2017, together we have reaffirmed our commitment to the environment, good government, infrastructure investments, and the expansion of our tax base. Specifically, we have:
- Signed a city-wide, three-year renewable energy electric contract that will reduce carbon emissions and reaffirmed our commitment to the values of the Paris Climate Accord.
- Invested 1 million in renovations to the baseball field at James Park to start later this summer.
- Raised millions in private donations towards the construction of a new Robert Crown community center.
- Demonstrated our commitment to treating our workforce respectfully and fairly by increasing the minimum wage to $10 per hour and up to $13 per hour by July 2020.
- Approved a planned development at 831 Emerson that is anticipated to augment our property tax by a million dollars a year.
- Announced that Target will be opening a new, small-format store in downtown Evanston March 2018.
These and future changes and improvements to our community can only occur if we work together in a collaborative, sensible, strategic, and intentional manner. My commitment as Mayor is to promote this attitude and to work hard every day to make this a more just, vibrant, inclusive, and equitable community. Let’s continue to work together to make Evanston one of America’s most livable cities.
Stephen H. Hagerty